Thursday, January 5, 2012

Distractions

I find myself somewhat resistant to all of the technology around me.  Sure I love my computer and can't imagine life without it.  But an iphone, droid, smartphone, kindle, nook, ipad it's all so overwhelming!  I just like my simple life.  I don't even have cable for crying out loud!  Am I strange?  Am I dare I say old fashioned?  I never in a million years would think of describing myself that way.  But as time goes on I feel like I'm stuck in the 90's and you know what?  I like it here!  I don't want to give in!  Are my kids going to suffer for it?  Are they going to be the weird kids without cable or a phone?  I just don't feel it's necessary to have all of this stuff.  It's all so distracting to me.  I want to sit with my family every night at the dining room table and eat a home cooked meal and talk about our day.  I'm no June Cleaver trust me on that.  But I want to cuddle with my kids on the couch and watch old TV shows and movies.  I want to turn on the radio and dance around the living room.  I want to take walks and admire the squirrels and the sky.  Even as we drive we spend quality time together.  We ooh and ahh over the colors in the sunset, shades of purple, pink and blue.  The clouds, the birds, the trees, the sun there's always something to look at and learn from when looking out the window.  But when your head is in a Nintendo DS you miss all of that.

   Today the topic of conversation in the car was about the kids' bus driver and how he dropped the f bomb.  Do my kids even know what the f word is?  They ask me what it means when someone says the m word.  M word?  Don't you mean n word?  They are so innocent and naive.  Fresh canvases and I just want to mold and sculpt them into inquisitive, loving, respectful human beings.  I do my best to be open and honest with them.  I want them to feel free around me.  Free to be themselves without fear holding them back.  So I explain to them words are only words and if they hear one they are unclear on to just ask me what it means and I'll be honest with them.  Am I going to regret that statement?  Ahhh the joys of parenthood!

  But what I'm getting at is if they were watching a tv on the back of my head rest or playing a video game or listening to an ipod would they be discussing the colors of the sky with me?  Or telling me about the bad kid in school who's always getting in trouble?

  I just love connecting with my kids every second that I can.  Oh trust me there are times when I say "you want to play a video game?" and go take a breather.  But there has to be balance!  All things in moderation right?  It's hard enough to find balance in every day activities and when you throw all of these gadgets into the mix it's enough to make your head spin!  Maybe one day I'll be ready to embrace all of these technological toys but for now my focus is on connecting with my kids and my hubby and getting all of my chores done.  No more distractions for me!

3 comments:

  1. You are a good mom and doing better than most. Just go with it. You are doing the best you can:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, some technology is necessary, like that tv to watch old movies on and snuggle and the radio to bring you that music. But yes, moderation is the key. I love that you share your family experiences via pictures! It is so good to see you all getting up and out and experiencing things, exploring what is right around us. I feel sad for kids who have every latest gadget and have never played kick the can or freeze tag. I dont even see kids riding bikes anymore. What happened to going outside? So chin up, keep doing what you are doing. You're kids seem very content with their life, more well rounded than any other kids I know, better educated and more experienced and you will certainly have bigger battles ahead than whether to get them an ipod or a DS. And I hope you blog about each one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies! I guess it's going to be a never ending struggle. I really appreciate your encouraging words...:-)

    ReplyDelete